The centre of Trunch, with the cottages clustered round the Parish Church, must have looked much the same in 1875 as in 1975 except that the original "Crown" with its thatched roof stood on the Hill, and the village pump was in everyday use. But the rest was a very scattered community of farms and cottages many no longer in existence, and the population of 426 compares with about 700 now. It was a very self-sufficient village, with John Bullemore as publican at the "Crown" and John Newland at the "New Inn"; Benjamin Buck keeping the Post Office; losiah Fuller in charge of another shop. A few years later the village boasted two butchers (William Seage and William Wegg) so perhaps their establishments existed in 1875. At the brewery, the Primrose family, resident in Trunch in the 15th century carried on their business, and down the Mundesley Road near Malthouse Cottages, a Mr. Gowing is believed to have looked after the malt-house. In what is now Brick Kiln Road, the clay was being dug during the winter, brick-making starting in about April. And then there were all the other famous surnames, some still found and some now, alas, extinct - Greenhill - wine, spirit and cigar merchant; Bullen - wheelwright and well-sinker; Gibbons - Wheelwrights and thatchers, Lacey and New-land - shoemakers; Steward - blacksmith; Frarey - vermin killer; and (this makes you think) Riches - hairdresser and farmer! Last, but not least, ten farmers in Trunch. The village had its own National School, built in 1853, and as many children attended then as now go to Mundesley - no bus problems in those days.
There was a travelling fair in the village on Shrove Tuesday, and it was held in the field at the back of the "New Inn", with swing boats and a greasy pole and all the rest, and the stalls set up in the yard. The fair returned in the autumn, perhaps at Michaelmas.
The Parish Church of St. Botolph was probably looking in sparkling condition 100 years ago - only eleven years before the nave roof and tower had been repaired, and pews, pulpit and reading desk added. Straw was put on the floor of the Church for warmth in winter, and Daniel Holl was the Clerk and verger who brought his water cart to clean the church and locked it up at night. In Chapel Road, there were two Methodist Chapels, one Wesleyan and one Primitive. One of these is now a garage, the other has disappeared, and our Methodist friends now worship together in their new church in North Walsham Road.